In the following short video (3 minutes), two people discuss a study that suggests your boss might be crazy.
Psychologist Jeff Gardere offers insight (understanding, perception) into this personality type.
The psychologist says that bosses who are psychopaths:
- "Are narcissistic, egocentric, and have no empathy or conscience."
- "They also lie, can be aggressive, manipulative, and charming."
- "Do not care what happens to you."
- "When you stop producing or if you have problems, they will fire you (remove you from your job)."
In addition, he says that if you have a psychopathic boss:
- "Do not follow their model and distance yourself from him or her, if you see that they are breaking rules (not following or respecting rules)."
In the video, you will see and hear the following vocabulary and expressions:
- "Personality disorders rampant among bosses." (That means that personality problems can be an epidemic problem in bosses.)
- "When there is smoke, there is fire." (We use this expression to say that because a situation seems bad, there is something wrong, or there is a problem.)
PRACTICE AND THINK IN ENGLISH
- Have you ever had a boss who was a psychopath?
- What did he or she do?
- How did you manage the situation?
Tell me about your experience by leaving a comment below or in a message by E-mail at email@example.com, if you like.
To learn how to leave a comment, please click for instructions in English or click for instructions in French. It is not necessary to have a Google account. After you type your comment, click on the menu, "Comment as" ("choisir une identité") and choose "Name" or "Anonymous".