The Second Conditional In Music: "Tears In Heaven"

"Tears in Heaven" is a touching song by Eric Clapton. He wrote the song after his son died in a horrible accident in 1991.

In the song, you will hear how we use the second conditional in English to talk about imaginary situations in the present. In other words, we use it to talk about a different present reality that is impossible or not probable. The situation is not a real possibility.

We use the second conditional with the following construction:

IF + PAST SIMPLE, WOULD + VERB

For example, if I won the lottery, I would buy a new apartment. (Winning the lottery is not a real possibility.)


Listen to the song and how Eric Clapton uses the second conditional.

 

Here are the lyrics:

Would you know my name
If I saw you in heaven?
Would it be the same
If I saw you in heaven?

I must be strong
And carry on (continue),
'Cause I know I don't belong
Here in heaven.

Would you hold my hand
If I saw you in heaven?
Would you help me stand
If I saw you in heaven?

I'll find my way
Through night and day,
'Cause I know I just can't stay
Here in heaven.

Time can bring you down (make you feel depressed),
Time can bend your knees (make you weak).
Time can break your heart,
Have you begging please, begging please.

Beyond the door,
There's peace I'm sure,
And I know there'll be no more
Tears in heaven.

Would you know my name
If I saw you in heaven?
Would it be the same
If I saw you in heaven?

I must be strong
And carry on,
'Cause I know I don't belong
Here in heaven.


PRACTICE AND THINK IN ENGLISH

What do you think of the song? 

Do you know of any other songs that have the second conditional in them?

Tell me by leaving a comment below or in a message by E-mail at kaufman.terry@gmail.com, if you like.
To learn how to leave a comment, please click for instructions in English or click for instructions in French. It is not necessary to have a Google account. After you type your comment, click on the menu, "Comment as" ("choisir une identité") and choose "Name" or "Anonymous".

No comments:

Post a Comment